Role: Country Manager, Tanzania Team: Operations
Location: Dar es Salaam
Reports to: CEO
Job Code: jobTZCM17
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, gain insight into market pricing, tackle the effects of climate change, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
You will play a key role in establishing Wefarm in Tanzania, building a strong team and environment for success. The role will oversee all areas of day to day operations in the country, and provide support and leadership to the new team.From establishing our legal presence & setting-up a bank account, to hiring and marketing strategy.
Therefore, Wefarm’s Country Manager, Tanzania, will have to be a strategic thinker, effective leader and manager, and passionate about ensuring the successful delivery of Wefarm’s vision and culture, as well as our start-up agility and flexibility. Bringing in-depth knowledge of farming communities and rural populations, as well as international management and operations, the country manager will work directly with the CEO and senior management team of Wefarm.
You will be given the opportunity to help us prove our model in a 3rd location, do it faster and better, while using what we have learned so far and tailor it to the Tanzanian context.
- Help plan the launch in Tanzania, plus the country strategy for 2018
- Set-up and run the day-to-day operations in Tanzania. Ensuring effectiveness and efficiency but also global coordination.
- Hire top-level talent that aligns with the Wefarm culture and start-up mentality
- Oversee the office management, staff mentoring & management, attendance, bank accounts and financial reporting, etc, - work closely with the CEO and operations team.
- Support the Head of Brand, Business Development, and Tech/Product (all London based) to work effectively in Tanzania and be as impactful as possible for the farmers.
- Help Wefarm to maintain the ‘farmer voice’ as central to the whole business
- Help build a key place for Wefarm within the Tanzanian ecosystem, including with government and other key startup and farming organisations.
- Be highly creative and innovative in finding new and interesting ways for Wefarm to sign-up farmers and market to rural communities
- Will often be the face of the Wefarm brand in Tanzania and will be used for PR requests as-needed
- Understanding of the startup realities with the motivation and resourcefulness to help us scale
- Must demonstrate a strong willingness to adapt, and move from one set of duties to another as the startup grows and pivots over time;
- Knowledge of growth metrics and user acquisition strategies
- Understanding of rural farming communities in Tanzania and East Africa, and the unique challenges and opportunities in marketing to these communities
- Experience in planning and executing multiple projects and business activities at once
- Experience in managing, growing and leading teams
- Experience in building strong relationships with senior executives, partners, media outlets, mobile networks, etc.
- N.B. Must have the right to live and work in Tanzania
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
You are given $1,000 USD to sign-up as many farmers as possible in a week in Tanzania. What would you do?
Please send your application to jobTZCM17@wefarm.org (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.