Role: Head of Marketing, Uganda Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Manager, Uganda & Global Head of Brand & Communications
Job Code: jobUGHoM
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, gain insight into market pricing, tackle the effects of climate change, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
We are looking for a Head of Marketing to lead our marketing strategy and efforts in Uganda.
The Head of Marketing will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of all Wefarm Uganda marketing strategy, marketing communications, collateral development, digital marketing development and public relations and communications activities.
You will support the Country Manager in developing and implementing a user acquisition strategy to reach remote, unconnected farmer audiences, through a variety of different channels, including radio, television, print advertising, strategic partnerships, training programmes, community events, and more. You must be data savvy - willing and able to constantly monitor and test the success of different channels, Should be willing to be on-ground-within the farming communities. The ability to adjust strategies based on findings to ensure maximum, sustainable growth will be crucial to success, as well as developing new ideas to reach and sign-up farmers.
The Head of Marketing will be based in Uganda, and will also work closely with the Global Head of Brand and Communications (based in London) to ensure that all plans are globally aligned
- Oversees all marketing activity in Uganda, ensuring that all national marketing plans and tactics effectively fulfil global brand and marketing strategy while serving the primary purpose of user acquisition.
- Create new opportunities for Wefarm Uganda across traditional, experiential and digital marketing channel tactics.
- Monitor, test and scale existing user acquisition channels (like radio, farming events, etc.) and develop new ideas to implement and test;
- Build a network of key influencers in the spaces of agriculture and technology; work with farming communities and their leaders to build advocacy
- Recruitment and selection of any new members of the marketing team, including support staff, freelancers and agencies.
- Manage all Wefarm Uganda content marketing needs, including work with external suppliers to produce locally relevant collateral.
- Lead communications strategy in-country by targeting select high-return PR opportunities across the earned and owned credibility spectrum. Write press releases and media FAQs as required.
- Work with business team to support the development and implementation of the Wefarm commercial strategy
- Regular reporting of in-country marketing activities and regular production of analysis reports (monthly, quarterly, annually) for Wefarm’s UK office.
- 7+ years experience in designing and implementing marketing strategies to reach remote communities in East Africa
- Must demonstrate a strong willingness to adapt, and move from one set of duties to another as the startup grows and pivots over time;
- Knowledge of social network metrics, growth and user acquisition strategies and an understanding of the unique challenges and opportunities of user growth in rural areas with ‘offline’ users through SMS
- Knowledge and understanding of rural farming communities in East Africa, and the unique challenges and opportunities in marketing to these communities
- Experience in planning and executing multiple projects and business activities at once, in different regions and countries
- Experience in building strong relationships with senior executives, media outlets, agricultural shows, mobile networks, etc.
- Ability to develop strong network of key influencers in different sectors including rural farming as well as data, communication, and mobile technology
- Enjoys working with international teams
- N.B. Must have the right to live and work in Uganda
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
"You’ve been tasked with growing our user base by 15% month-on-month - outline your topline strategy and supporting channel tactics. Assign a rough budget to your plan."
Please send your application to jobUGHoM@wefarm.org (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.