Role: FIELD COORDINATOR-KENYA Team: FIELD
Reports to: HEAD OF FIELD-KENYA.
Job Code: jobKEFT2
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, gain insight into market pricing, tackle the effects of climate change, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
We need a Field Coordinator to help us scale our presence on the ground.
The Field Coordinator [FC] will play a key role in being the face of Wefarm in the field and supporting the biggest number of farmers possible to join Wefarm. The FC will spend a lot of time in farming communities introducing Wefarm to key influencers and joining farmers to the service.
The role will also lead training programmes in communities, and ensure that trained farmers are excited and fully prepared and ready to sign-up other farmers.
The Field Coordinator will bring in-depth knowledge of farming communities and rural populations, and support the Head of Field to implement the overall Field strategy to support user growth in Kenya. This will include potential involvement across a wide variety of user acquisition channels - radio, tv, agricultural events, etc.
- County Strategy: support Head of Field in the development of an innovative strategy to cement Wefarm presence in the counties
- Growth and spread: maximize on the innovative strategies and support it’s scaling to 10 counties.
- Team Building: build, mentor and coach a strong Brand Ambassadors network on the ground, and build a culture of putting Wefarm users first
- Business Development: analyze market trends and competitors landscape at county level and keep the rest of the team up to date on county market trends.
KPIs [Key Performance Indicators]
- New user numbers
- Number of new counties expanded to
- Number of relationships established with local farmer groups, agro-dealers and agronomist networks
- Efficient communication between field and the office
- Brand Ambassador [BA] team satisfaction
- Experience of working directly with small-scale farmers and the farming community (possibly in extension services or similar)
- Experience managing people (you will have a team of Brand Ambassadors working with you)
- Knowledge of marketing channels and techniques within rural, agricultural settings
- Experience in planning and executing projects and activities
- Ability to communicate well on the radio and other media channels
- Attention to detail and problem solving skills
- Comfortable working hard in a startup environment. Part of that would require someone resourceful and flexible, who is able to adapt to various circumstances and help make the most of any situation – one day in the office in Nairobi and the next talking with farmers in the field
- Passionate about Wefarm’s social business model and pioneering approach - particularly peer to peer knowledge sharing among farmers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- N.B. You must have the right to work in Kenya
- B2C sales experience would be a bonus
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
Among the 47 counties in Kenya, choose one that you would comfortably look to work with. Share with us the strategies you will use to reach 40% of the farming community in the county you have chosen.
Please send your application to jobKEFT2@wefarm.org (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.