Role: Engagement Coordinator and Agricultural Specialist Team: Product
Reports to: Country Manager, Uganda & Head of Product
Wefarm, the world’s largest farmer-to-farmer digital network, enables farmers to connect with one another to solve problems, share ideas and spread innovation. Utilising the latest machine learning technology, Wefarm’s service works both online and over SMS. Knowledge shared on Wefarm can help farmers to produce higher quality product, increase yields, gain insight into market pricing, tackle the effects of climate change, diversify agricultural interests, and much more.
Since its founding in 2015, Wefarm has been named one of Africa’s Most Innovative Companies by FastCompany and has won Google’s Impact Challenge Award, TechCrunch’s Europas-Tech for Good Award, and the European Union Commission’s Ideas from Europe prize, among others. We’ve been covered on CNN, the BBC, Wired, TechCrunch, Forbes, the FT and more. The company is headquartered in London with offices in Nairobi and Kampala.
We are looking for an Engagement Coordinator and Agricultural Specialist whose core responsibilities would be to manage farmer engagement with our network, to improve user retention, and to leverage his or her agronomic expertise in offering customer support to our Ugandan farmers.
The Engagement Coordinator and Agricultural Specialist should be able to manage long-term engagement strategies and capture insights and learnings in order to assist in global product design and delivery.
The ideal candidate for this role will live the first Wefarm guiding principle which is to make our farmers’ trust deserved. He or she will always act in the best interests of our farmers by ensuring that our engagement strategy is dictated by their challenges and by their needs.
- Support the development of a process for measuring ‘quality’ of content shared with users, and strive to continually improve the quality of information available through Wefarm
- Research and follow key trends and advances in global agriculture and report these findings back to the wider team on a regular basis.
- Advise on Crop cycles and patterns for scheduled communications.
- Ensure users needs are clearly understood and that the product effectively reflect them
- Provide strategic quality answers to farmers on the system
- Develop a process for collecting and collating quality tips and answers from users that can be shared both back to users and more broadly
- Monitoring of incorrect or inappropriate answers on the system
- Track and report on key trends of questions on the system; track repeatedly asked questions
What are we looking for:
- 5+ years experience in at least one, core agronomics sector; a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in agronomy
- Highly strategic, creative and analytical;
- Effective, data-focused project manager; especially for long (3+ month) projects
- Customer-focused; passionate about supporting farmers;
- Proficient speaker and writer of English, Runyankole, and Luganda;
- Working knowledge and understanding of the growing process (including common diseases and problems) of the main cash crops grown in Uganda
- Flexible, and highly willing to adapt to changes with a high-growth startup organization
- Comfortable with using a computer and knowledge of Office tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; clear communicator, enjoys working with international teams
- N.B. You must have the right to work in Uganda
To apply, please send your CV and a (short) cover letter that answers the following question:
“You have the opportunity to communicate to a million farmers across Uganda via 3 SMS to engage them more in our service, what would you communicate and what would your selection process be?”
Please send your application to jobUGEngagement1@wefarm.org (note, we will review and interview on an ongoing basis). Unfortunately, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates.